Friday, March 16, 2007

Don't do it for me, do it for them....

It's been a week. Hell week. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory opens tomorrow and the set is finally finished. There is also an 8" ice encrusted carpet of snow to negotiate before one can arrive at the theater. Pennsylvania Youth Theatre is, as it's name suggests, largely comprised of school age youth. They will also have to negotiate the same snow trap I find myself recently liberated from (drive-time 2 hrs) before arriving for their opening performance, and because of a spate of inclement weather that unexpectedly corresponded a little too closely with their rehearsal schedule will find themselves woefully ill-prepared. On the bright side I predict the Audience will be thin. Thank God, apparently. The set however is fabulous.

Did I mention the flu? Yeah well yours truly weathered that this week too. The astute reader may have noticed the large gap in this blog, just as my theatrical director noticed the 2 day gap in my labors, the 2 days I spent in bed recovering from the flu. The same flu I got when my immune system became weakened while working 16 hr days as a consequence of the gruelling installation schedule, which as mentioned in a prior blog entry was an uncompensated "addendum" to my contract for the set design and construction. Hamilton and Weaver truly came through, like a semen stain on a little black dress, for me on this one. They are great guys and true friends. They deserve PennyBillionaires billions by the truckload, did I mention they performed this service, ehm...building and painting the set while I slept with flu, for well, mostly no money. They did it because they are just great people, they are my friends, and they did this thing not only for me but for the benefit of the entire community of PaYT, and for the greater community of parents and friends of the performers, stage hands, tech people and the audiences that will see this show, which incidentally, is sold out in advance for it's entire run. Thank you people of Bethlehem Pa, for your encouragement and support. I could go on with praise and thanks for my partners, or I could simply state "spare us a penny guv, go ahead make their day."

No comments: